Winterthur is closed to the public on Labor Day, Monday, September 1.

Fast Facts

 

  • Henry Francis du Pont was on the Board of Directors of the DuPont Company from 1915 to 1958. He was also a director of General Motors, the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the New York Botanical Garden and other cultural institutions, and a trustee of the University of Delaware.
     
  • H. F. du Pont married Ruth Wales of New York on June 24, 1916.
     
  • Mr. and Mrs. du Pont had two daughters—Ruth Lord Holmes, who lives in Connecticut, and the late Pauline Louise du Pont Harrison.
     
  • Winterthur is situated on 982 acres, including 60 acres of naturalistic garden. It comprised 2,500 acres when it functioned as a working farm and estate.
     
  • There are 175 room displays in the museum and nearly 90,000 objects. The collection spans two centuries of American decorative arts, from 1640 to 1860.
     
  • The Winterthur Library includes more than 87,000 volumes and approximately 500,000 manuscripts and images.
     
  • Winterthur's square footage:
     
  • Museum building (rooms and offices) = 96,582 sq. ft.
  • The Cottage (home of H. F. du Pont after opening of the museum) = 21,345 sq. ft.
  • The Galleries = 35,000 sq. ft. (22,000 sq. ft. display area)
  • Research building = 68,456 sq. ft.
  • Visitor Center = 18,755 sq. ft.   
     
  • The Winterthur house was electrified in 1891.
     
  • The house was air conditioned in the early 1960s.
     
  • There are 50 nonworking fireplaces in the museum and the wing. The fireplace chimneys are capped.
     
  • Winterthur includes an on-site fire department, post office, and (non-functioning) train station.
     
  • Water is supplied from wells on the property.
     
  • The color of the outbuildings is Sage Gray.
     
  • The color of the Cottage (now the Museum Store) is a custom mix without a name. The exterior woodwork color is Sandstone.
     
  • In 1926 Winterthur's dairy operation included 300 prizewinning Holsteins that produced 11,000 pounds of milk per year per cow.
     
  • Ten miles of paved roads, 1.3 miles of unpaved roads, 4.6 miles of paths, and 3.6 miles of perimeter roads wind throughout the estate.
     
  • More than 100 trees, 400 shrubs, and 13,500 perennials were planted at Winterthur in 2009. This number varies from year to year.
     
  • The oldest tree on the Winterthur property is the "William Penn" tree, a tulip-poplar in Chandler Woods. It is old enough to have been growing when William Penn was alive.
     
  • In 2002 all of Winterthur’s 982 acres were placed in a conservation easement with the Brandywine Conservancy, guaranteeing that it will remain undeveloped for future generations.
     
  • Winterthur is a nonprofit, educational institution directed by a Board of Trustees.
     
  • About 400 people volunteer at Winterthur each year.
     
  • Nearly 130,000 people visit Winterthur annually.

 


Close Window

Send Me A Reminder
days before
[ Set Reminder ] [ Cancel ]