Plan Your Visit
There is so much to see and do at Winterthur—even more than you may realize. Admission tickets are honored for two consecutive days, so if one day isn't enough, you can come back!
View admission packages here.
To learn more about Winterthur, purchase Guide to Winterthur Museum & Country Estate by Pauline Eversmann.
Visit Winterthur on the Delaware History Trail!
When you visit, you will now see a sign designating Winterthur as one of 36 sites on the newly unveiled Delaware History Trail. The sign contains a site code specific to Winterthur that you can record in your Trail Passport on your smart phone. The Trail Passport can be downloaded from visitdelaware.com/History/.
Once you visit a minimum of 18 sites on the trail, you can turn in your passport for a free copy of the limited-edition book, Landmarks and Legacies.
Use these suggested trips to customize your visit based on your interests and timeframe. We recommend spending at least four hours here to make the most of your visit and to experience all that the museum, garden, and estate have to offer.
Sample what Winterthur has to offer. The following is included in general admission:
- Take a narrated garden tram ride to discover garden highlights and the history of the estate. Please note: house and tram tours are guided tours that go in groups, so there may be a wait.
- Take an introductory house tour (*subject to availability) to see some of the finest antiques of early America and the spaces where the du Ponts entertained.
Enjoy a more in-depth experience. In addition to the above, general admission includes the following:
- Explore special exhibitions and learn about the collection in the Galleries.
- See the beautiful Campbell Collection of Soup Tureens.
- View the informative orientation film.
- Wander the ever-changing garden.
- Take time out for a snack or lunch.
- Shop the Museum Stores.
Whether you have two hours or a day, Winterthur offers a wealth of options for families. Use the estimated times below to help you plan your trip.
- Explore Enchanted Woods, the award-winning children’s garden (45 min.–1 hour)
- Learn about history through play in the Touch-It Room (30 min.–1 hour)
- Take the Once Upon a Family Tour or the Introductory Tour (45 min.–1 hour)
- Try some hands-on activities in the Galleries (45 min.–1 hour)
- Take time out for a snack or lunch
- Attend a family program
It’s worth devoting a day to Winterthur. In addition to the above, you can enjoy the following:
- Take a one- or two-hour reserved tour to explore even more of the collection. Tours change seasonally, and a variety of tours are always on offer.
- Learn more at a lecture or garden walk.
- Hike the garden and estate. Explore the roads and walking paths through the meadows to discover beautiful vistas and see more of the estate, including the old train station and barns.
Admission tickets are honored for two consecutive days, so it’s easy to spend a weekend at Winterthur. Visit at a more leisurely pace or add the following to your trip:
- Choose from a variety of two-hour special-subject tours to learn more about the collection.
- Customize your visit with a private tour, tailored to your interests.
- Enjoy a variety of educational experiences, from workshops to conferences.
- Visit the Winterthur Library, a major center for the study of American social, cultural, and artistic history. Open Monday–Friday, 8:30 am–4:30 pm.
- Find lodging and dining and discover other nearby attractions.
Upon entering the premises you grant Winterthur and its agents the right to videotape, film, and photograph you, record your voice, and use your likeness in connection with the commercial production, and in the distribution, exhibition, and exploitation thereof.