Costumes of Downton Abbey is an original exhibition of exquisite designs from the award-winning television series. Forty historically inspired costumes from the television show will be displayed and supplemented by photographs and vignettes inspired by the fictional program and by real life at Winterthur.
Visitors will have a chance to step into and experience the world of Downton Abbey® and the contrasting world of Winterthur founder Henry Francis du Pont and his contemporaries in the first half of the 20th century.
A co-production of Carnival Films and Masterpiece, Downton Abbey depicts life in an aristocratic household of the fictional Earl and Countess of Grantham and is one of the most popular and critically acclaimed period dramas ever produced. It has won a Golden Globe Award for Best Miniseries and seven Emmys including a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Miniseries. It was the most watched television series in both the UK and the U.S. and became the most successful British costume drama series since the 1981 television serial Brideshead Revisited. By the third series, it had become one of the most widely watched television shows in the world. The Guinness World Records recognized Downton Abbey as the most critically acclaimed English-language television series of 2011.
The costumes will be lent by Cosprop, the world’s leading costumier to film, television, and theater. Winterthur’s most popular exhibition, Fashion in Film, which attracted more than 42,000 people over its three-month run, also featured costumes by Cosprop.
*Nonmembers are required to have timed tickets for the exhibtion. Nonmembers can purchase tickets online or call 800.448.3883. Included with general admission. Members free.
- To complement the exhibition, Winterthur will host a wide range of lectures and several English brunches and teas.
- For more information on visiting Winterthur during Costumes of Downton Abbey, including tips for enhancing your visit and Members-only access and information, click here.
- For information on Members-only programs and events related to Costumes of Downton Abbey, please visit the Member activities page.
- Visiting from outside the area? Check our Plan Your Visit page for information on transportation and more!
- Visit our online Costumes of Downton Abbey exhibition store.
County Lines' Magazine Social Scene page covers the Opening Gala for Costumes of Downton Abbey.
The exhibition at Winterthur is presented by
With support from the Glenmede Trust Company
Downton® and Downton Abbey®. A Carnival Films/Masterpiece Co-Production.
Carnival logo © 2005 Carnival Film & Television Limited. Masterpiece is a trademark of the WGBH Educational Foundation. All Rights Reserved. Photograph © Nick Briggs, Carnival Film & Television Limited, 2012. All Rights Reserved.