Winterthur offers curriculum-based, staff-level internships to qualified college students, recent graduates, and graduate students. These internships are intensive educational and professional experiences that often offer academic credit. Interns work with professionals to develop job skills as well as to discover the inner workings of a major decorative arts institution.
The following descriptions are designed to give a general overview of what an intern may experience in certain divisions and departments. The actual work that an intern completes may vary from the description below according to the needs of the museum and the requirements of the intern.
Current Internship opportunities:
Registration Summer Intern and Fall Intern: Seeking a graduate or undergraduate intern to work in the Museum Registration Department (Summer, June-August and Fall, September-December). Both positions are 1 to 2 days per week, unpaid.
Duties may include:
- Museum collections inventory
- Museum database editing
- Collections processing, numbering, basic photography
- Other projects as available
Museum collections management coursework and/or some prior experience working with museum collections preferred. Legible handwriting, attention to detail, and good computer skills required. To apply please email letter of interest and resume to Beth Parker Miller, Registrar, firstname.lastname@example.org Summer internship deadline: April 29, 2016. Fall internship deadline: May 30, 2016
Communications Intern: Seeking a graduate or undergraduate intern to help in the Communications Department.
- Researching and tracking news coverage of Winterthur
- Conducting news reports with quantitative and qualitative analyses
- Maintaining Communications Department files of exhibitions, projects, events
- Assisting with administrative tasks including copying and assembling press kits and other materials
- Inputting information on Winterthur exhibitions, events, and activities into media and tourism Calendars of Events
- Assisting Communications Manager in responding to media inquiries
- Assist in maintaining the CISION media database and prepare media reports
Requires proficiency in Word 2007, Excel, PowerPoint and internet. Must have good computer skills. Knowledge of Microsoft Outlook and PhotoShop desired but not necessary. Willingness to learn new software is required (CISION media database management & reporting system). Ability to write fact sheets, press releases and other media materials a plus. To apply please send your resume and detailed cover letter to:Tricia Davies, Volunteer Manager email@example.com